We all appreciate the moms in our world. Picture a Mother’s Day morning of fresh flowers, a steaming coffee delivered to the bedside, and time to relax as a family. This year with a little advance preparation and a nose for adventure, the fresh flowers could be growing beside your tent door and the coffee prepared on a camp stove. Everything is sweeter in the great outdoors, so why not celebrate that special lady with a night under the stars?
Here are 5 tips to make it happen:
1. Pick a local campsite: Sometimes we look far afield for our adventures, but there are often some great spots close to home. If the site is near enough, you could set up camp in advance and make it a complete Mother’s Day surprise.
2. Get the kids involved with the preparation: Get them to pack their own clothes and a few toys or games that you can all play at the picnic table and around the fire.
3. Pack the car with big Tupperware bins: Keep things organized with all the cooking gear in one bin, food in another, and maybe a big duffel bag for pillows and sleeping bags thrown on top of everything.
4. Simple gourmet: You can easily whip up a gourmet meal for mom using a frozen container of home-cooked pasta sauce, fresh pasta and fire roasted garlic bread. Then in the morning, serve up a yogurt and granola parfait with fresh fruit and a steaming hot coffee with fresh whipped cream.
5. Last but not least, take some warm clothes: Spring mornings can be cool, so wrap that mom in your life in wool from top to bottom and maybe even a Wool Aire Hoody so she will be cozy while sipping her morning hot drink.
Your weekend away over Mother’s Day will be free of distractions and filled with quality-time. It could become a new family tradition!
– Photo and Words by Dan Clark, Ibex Ambassador.